Barcami Lane, Inc. is an accredited association management company (AMC) that provides a full range of management services to nonprofit associations. Barcami Lane lives by the following values, which are evidenced in all that we do: Service Excellence, Client Value, and Professionalism.
The executive director serves as Barcami Lane’s client manager for assigned association clients, representing the company’s interests while managing client associations on a day-to-day basis. They work in collaboration with the client’s volunteer leaders and Barcami Lane’s staff and contractors in ensuring each client’s unique needs are satisfied in accordance with the Scope of Services.
The executive director reports to the President of Barcami Lane.
Multiple positions open; seek candidates to be based in our Westford, MA office, DC office, and remote employees.
Tasks and Duties
The executive director shall perform the following tasks and duties:
- Serve as the client manager and designated staff contact for assigned clients.
- Build and maintain effective professional relationships with the client’s officers, directors, volunteers, and members.
- Coordinate and direct the work of staff teams to ensure the work specified in client Scopes of Work is completed in a timely, quality manner. This includes contractors and vendors.
- Balance and allocate resources to meet client and Barcami Lane’s objectives.
- Complete work within the budgeted number of hours allocated for each assigned client.
- Advise clients on compliance with governance documents and policies.
- Help clients set realistic goals, balancing programs and services with clients’ mission statements and strategic plans.
- Proactively provide leadership support, actively bringing new ideas and best practices to clients.
- Support clients’ advocacy work in partnership with volunteers, lobbyists, and partners.
- Quickly become familiar with client’s legislative and advocacy work to support volunteers and understand the issues at hand each legislative cycle.
- Complete other association management activities outlined in the Scope of Services for assigned clients.
- Keep client Presidents and Boards of Directors fully informed of matters affecting the association, including progress towards strategic goals and financial performance.
- Represent clients with industry-related groups and at industry-related meetings, as approved by clients.
- Facilitate external communications for assigned clients, with the client president serving as the chief spokesperson.
- Facilitate communication and feedback between clients and other staff.
Board & Committee Support
- Provide professional counsel to the client’s board of directors.
- Proactively execute board decisions and implement tactics to achieve objectives.
- Partner with the client president to develop agendas and materials for board of directors and executive committee meetings.
- Attend and actively participate in all board meetings.
- Provide a written executive director’s report for all board meetings.
- Develop and lead annual Board orientations and volunteer trainings.
- Assist clients with leadership development activities, and administer nominations and elections processes.
- Serve as a staff liaison to assigned clients’ committees, task forces, and other workgroups.
- Oversee the coordination of all in-person and virtual meeting logistics.
- Record meeting minutes and coordinate follow-up on action items.
- Plan and direct the day-to-day work of Barcami Lane’s assigned client team, including meeting planners, program coordinators, and other staff.
- Ensure that all work conducted for clients is included in the scope of services agreement between Barcami Lane and the client, alerting the president of any work that is outside of the scope of services.
- Manage and administer, on a day-to-day basis, the operations and general affairs of assigned clients, pursuant to their bylaws and policies.
- Provide oversight of all programs and manage projects to ensure targets, deadlines, and financial goals are met, delegating implementation when appropriate.
- Contribute to formulating and updating client policies, processes, and procedures.
- Execute contracts and agreements, obtaining advanced written approval as required by the client.
- Absent an assigned meeting planner, plan and manage all aspects of in-person and virtual events, including venue selection, contracting, food and beverage, audiovisual, speakers, room layouts, overnight room blocks, exhibit hall and tradeshow logistics, marketing, etc.
- Lead the development of clients’ event budgets and obtaining the clients' approval.
- Establish and oversee the implementation of event marketing schedules that include web, email, print, and social media communications, for attendees, exhibitors, and sponsors.
- Monitor registration numbers, exhibit and sponsorship income, room block pickup, and other key metrics on a weekly basis, and benchmark against the budget and prior years.
- Develop and implement membership initiatives and marketing plans to sustain and grow membership, in collaboration with clients.
- Actively lead membership recruitment and retention efforts.
- Actively lead efforts to recruit sponsors and corporate supporters.
- Share latest best practices on membership recruitment and retention with boards and committees.
- Oversee the management of the association’s membership database.
- Develop and disseminate membership surveys as requested by client.
- Provide clients with high-level reports of the results of surveys and membership campaigns.
- Monitor member satisfaction and report trends, issues, and opportunities to volunteer leaders.
- Manage the finances for assigned clients in partnership with accounting team.
- Develop annual budgets with input from staff and volunteers.
- Ensure adherence to the budget throughout the year.
- Regularly monitor clients' financial positions, forecasting and anticipating issues or opportunities based on data provided by accounting team.
- Provide monthly financial reports and executive summaries to clients' Presidents and Treasurers based on data provided by accounting team.
- Present and explain financial statements to volunteers as needed.
- Work with accounting team and client treasurers to develop and maintain sound financial practices and fulfill financial responsibilities, including the effective management of receivables and payables.
- Coordinate other financial processes including the review of tax returns and other filings and updating bank account signers.
- Ensure legal filings are current in state of incorporation.
Communications & Publications
- Establish and oversee the implementation of marketing schedules that include web, email, print, and social media communications. May also include promotion through client’s alliances or paid advertising.
- Oversee graphic designer in the execution of graphic design needs for clients, both digital and print collateral.
- Write copy to be used in all marketing materials.
- Provide marketing copy and direction to support staff, who will draft email blasts and distribute social media content.
- Work with support staff to ensure clients' websites are kept up to date.
- Ensure all client communications are appropriate, and free of spelling, grammar, or factual errors.
- Provide regular feedback to Barcami Lane’s leadership on staff performance, including participating in the annual performance evaluation process for assigned staff.
- Perform other tasks not specified in this position description as assigned.
- May handle additional association management responsibilities for clients or other duties as assigned.
To be qualified for this position, individuals must possess association or nonprofit management experience and a bachelor’s degree.
Barcami Lane strongly prefers individuals who have worked in an association management company or a standalone association; supervisory experience; client management experience; and possess a designation, such as the Certified Association Executive (CAE) or Certified Meeting Planner (CMP) designations and a master’s degree.
Skills and Abilities
The executive director must embody Barcami Lane’s values in all they do. They must be able to work independently with limited direction; maintain effective professional relationships with clients, management, staff and contractors; and manage competing priorities in a dynamic environment. The executive director must be a self-motivated problem-solver, able to collaborate and communicate across disciplines. They must be committed to their own personal and professional development. They must be highly organized and have strong written and verbal communication skills.
The executive director should be able to function effectively in a contemporary hybrid office environment using Microsoft 365, association management systems (AMS) and databases, virtual meeting platforms such as Microsoft Teams and Zoom, email marketing tools such as Constant Contact and Mail Chimp, project management tools such as Basecamp, and other productivity tools.